Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Nature Shoots Photographer

Louisville Photo Biennial 2019 Keith Auerbach - PYRO Gallery presents a photographic exhibition: "Nature Shoots Photographer" The 2004 tornado caused serious damage to my photographs and negatives but also became an uninvited artistic collaborator because the destruction had its own organic beauty which I extracted from the mess. Here is my Artist Statement (although it may not be what you are looking for):Nature Shoots Photographer When a tornado ripped through Louisville in 2004, a huge pine tree crashed onto the roof of my photography studio and rain poured onto photographs and negatives. Heat and humidity produced a hot house atmosphere. Photographic emulsions liquified, ink dyes ran together, and the entire mess began to decay. As I tried to rescue my work, I pulled photos and negatives apart and -- quite unexpectedly -- was intrigued by unusual patterns and colors. I felt an “artistic thrill” as I imagined the potential for entirely new images. Entranced, I saved several damaged photos and negatives for future exploration. This exhibit is the result of that exploration. I produced the original photographs using film. Nature then took its turn and created new starting points for me to consider. I discovered extraordinary images and used digital photographic technology to capture the accidental beauty of nature’s impact. For this exhibit I selected images that represent three stages in my collaboration with the natural forces released by the tornado: • Early stage: Images of people captured by film for my original photographs are clearly visible. Humidity and biological decay have begun to transform shapes and color. • Intermediate stage: The forces of nature are in control, creating new colors and patterns. Portions of the originalphotographic image peak through. • Late stage: Nature has taken over. The image is abstract with no apparent link to the reality depicted in the original photo. My contribution is the selection and enhancement of images that I found astonishing and mysterious.NOTE: There is an Artist talk Saturday September 14, 2019 from 1-2 PM at PYRO GalleryLearn more.......

No comments:

Post a Comment